Problem set 7
Due by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, April 1, 2020
You must submit all assignments as a Word document. Answer all questions carefully and neatly. Use section headings to distinguish what question you are answering. If the question involves a graph, copy/paste the graph into your document and make sure the graph has a title and axis labels.
Task 1: Corruption in your country
Find a big corruption scandal in the country you’ve been following all semester and provide a link discussing the story. Describe:
- What did the corruption entail? How did it work? Which actors were involved?
- What was the public response to the scandal? Was there an aftermath?
- Did anyone suffer consequences? If yes, what proportion of the people involved does it seem like were actually punished? How severe was the punishment?
- Is this type of corruption common yet rarely punished in your country? If yes, why do you think in this particular instance the perpetrators were caught?
Task 2: Political cartoons
Look at the political cartoon below, from 1996, depicting Colombian presidential candidate Ernesto Samper. Do some digging around online, and in 3-5 sentences discuss the meaning and intention of each cartoon. Some guiding questions:
- What is each cartoon referencing? What point is the author trying to emphasize in each cartoon?
- Why an elephant? Why is it behind Samper?
- What’s the connection between the piggy bank and what Samper is saying in the second cartoon?
Cartoon by Vladimir Florez (“Vladdo”), 1996